The Trump administration included “distributed reason technologies” (DLT), the grandfather technology behind cryptocurrency and blockchain, in its strategy to preserve America's technological supremacy over China and Russia.
- DLT is one of the 20 areas of focus on the National Security Council's list of "critical and emerging technologies" released Thursday.
- The NSC's strategy is to invest, develop, adopt and promote priority technologies.
- Also on the list: AI, data science, quantum computing and “space technologies”, technologies for mitigating weapons of mass destruction and others.
- Absent from the document: concrete numbers and a concrete roadmap for implementation.
- US government pockets are already investing in blockchain infrastructure, the Department of Homeland Security most publicly.
- The US military is also examining the DLT for combat operations, but efforts are still in its early stages.
- Chinese officials have long been optimistic about DLT. A state-sanctioned distributed network to host dapps and Internet services debuted months ago.
- It is not so clear where Russia stands in state-sponsored DLT use cases.